Running faster than real time

Questions about Marilou Open Devices Access (MODA)
rykkers

Running faster than real time

Post by rykkers » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:56 am

Hi guys, may be simple but i've tried all things i think should work but they won't.

Background: i'm evolving an ANN which takes the 3d co-ords of a load of geoms then turns this into speeds for each motor.

The idea was to do the ANN, set motors, then step the simulation. Repeat.

The step time was 0.02 s so i assumed that doing the loop 250 times would make about 5 (simulated) seconds of running. however what i actually get on the display is much more than that.

Am i missing something here?

i'd hoped that this would make the tests run faster on a faster computer, i.e. as fast as possible without messing with real-time multiplier and so changing delays and stuff in the code.

any further insight?

thanks

Ryk

LR

Post by LR » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:37 am

Hi,

Sorry I don't understand what you want to do ... Can you describe it with screenshots or sending your project to support at anykode dot com?

The time step is the interval between 2 physics computation. When the time step is small, the physics accuracy is better. When time step is high, the physics is faster but the accuracy is poor. The default time step=0.01 s (10 ms) that's mean that the physics is computed 100 times for 1 second. If you don't have stability problems, do not change it!

Thank you
LR

rykkers

sorry, me being stupid

Post by rykkers » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:33 pm

don't worry, i just wasn't waiting for the physics to compute, silly me, its all working fine now