Linux version update?

Talking about next Marilou features or how to make existing features more reliable/practical
artyb

Linux version update?

Post by artyb » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:21 pm

Hi,

Thanks firstly for developing this software, and for the Hobby version of it. I noticed someone asked in 2008 if you intended to make a Linux version, and you said it was a lot of work, but that you were interested. Just wondered if you'd update us on that?

Thanks,

A

LR

Re: Linux version update?

Post by LR » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:15 am

Hi artyb,

1] Taday, you can program your robots using MODA for Linux. (Your robotics application controls robot simulated under Windows)

2] Tomorrow: we are working on the Linux version of Marilou-Exec (the simulator). If you are interested in testing some BETA, you can send your mail to support at anykode.com and say that you want to receive BETA download links. Today I'm not completely sure that a Linux-native version is a good idea, because the new Windows version works better under Wine than the Linux native one ...

So, YES we are working on a Linux based version of the simulator (Editor coming after), but it is not yet finished ...
LR

artyb

Post by artyb » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:39 pm

Hi LR,

Thanks for the quick and promising reply! I wasn't asking about MODA, but I guess it's good to clarify that in posts for the benefit of other readers. I'm interested that you say the present version works well in WINE. I had assumed it wouldn't because of the .net dependency. There are some discussions about using Mono, but the conclusion I took from those other posts was that it wasn't feasible at present, or possibly unlikely to be feasible. Wine lists .net 3.5 performance as "Garbage" on: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... n&iId=2586
Because of that I'd assumed it was a non-starter. Would you give use some details of versions you've used etc to do that testing? Very interesting development, thanks for the update, and offer to test Betas.

Cheers,
A

LR

Post by LR » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:49 pm

Hi artyb,

We tried mono few years ago and it was not working for us, because we are using C++ CLI is some parts of Marilou. I have noticed MONO project about this limitation and they said that "using C++ CLI make no sense that's why we will not make any developments for supporting mixed code (C++CLI / C++ native )". So, we stopped MONO investigations. Perhaps they have changed the road map, i will take a look about that.

Today, we are removing the .net Framework dependencies from Marilou-Exec in order to produce a new version C++ only for for Windows/Linux/Mac.
Our problem is that there are a lot of limitation under Linux when using X/OpenGL and other stuffs in multi-threaded architecture. It seems that all is "thread-context dependent" (or perhaps we did not configure our Linux as required ...). That's why it takes a so long time to port our "massively multi-thread SDK" to Linux !

So, when i said that is was better with Wine , it was a joke :) of course.

In the future i will post more about ExecV5 on this forum, and notice you when the very first beta is available.
LR

LR

Post by LR » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:15 pm

Hi artyb,

Just for saying that we are working on the Linux version of EXEC: simulations can be run under Linux ! It is also working in virtualisation (tests made with VirtualBox)
If you want to test it, simply send an email to support at anykode dot com.

Here is the first screenshot of Marilou-Exec V5:
LR

LR

Post by LR » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:54 pm

The very first BETA of EXEC V5 is ready on http://www.anykode.com/downloads.php, this is a BETA then all your remarks and suggestion are welcome.

Send an email to support at anykode.com !

Exec V5 for Windows:

Exec V5 for Ubuntu X86:

Exec V5 running on Ubuntu in a VirtualBox under Windows:
LR